this blog isn't for you. it's for me.


January 18, 2010

Day 1: Chest and Back, Ab Ripper X

What the heck am I getting myself into?

That was insane. 58 minute workout for Chest and Back. First 14 minutes are stretching. So what, it's 44 minutes of two muscle groups? I used to go to the gym for over an hour, why was this so bad? Cause at the gym you do about 6-8 workouts, with breaks in between each, and generally someone to pass time with.

This was 12 different workouts, small breaks in between. Oh, and you do it twice.

It's pullups, pushups, and a few back exercises. Of course Tony, who I'm sure I'll LOVE by the end of this, is ripped out of his mind. As are the two guys he's with. As is the 84 pound lady who does each move with him as well. Where's the guy with 22% body fat doing Diamond Pushups? That guy would motivate the heck out of me. Not these U.S. Marines.

Tony makes his partners set goals. What's your goal, Viper? First off, when your name's Viper, your goal better not be less than 500 of anything. They set their marks in the 20s and 30s. I was happy to make it to double digits before everything turned into Jell-o.

No matter how many pullups I did in preparation for today, Day 1, nothing could have gotten me ready for this. And to top it all off, we finished today (and every other day for 90 days), with Ab Ripper X.

16 minutes of Ab workouts. Okay, I used to do 8 minute abs. So twice that should be easy. Not the case at all. 'Seated Crunchy Frog' sounded like fun. Until I tried it. That was the case with every workout for the past 74 minutes. It all looked attainable, until I realized that I have my muscles, not Tony's.

89 more days. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it...

3 comments:

  1. As a recent graduate of the program, believe you me when I say it gets easier. At first, I had to hit the pause button at least 10 times during a workout just to keep up with the, as you put it so accuratley, Marine grade training. However, as time went on and I actually saw muscle begin to develop; I was able to make it through full workouts without pausing. In fact, I could even set goals that were pretty close to Tony's. Food for thought: keep with the program, trust you will be able to finish an entire DVD start to finish, and always look to improve.

    -CSG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there buddy, I'm suffering every morning with you. My favorite is the black guy on ab ripper with the perfect core. Where are the average joes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man..I just finished day 1. I kept telling myself, "Everything will be ok once I get to ab ripper". Once I started ab ripper, I was begging for push/pull ups again! Looking forward to day 2!

    ReplyDelete