this blog isn't for you. it's for me.


January 29, 2010

Day 12: Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X

After Yoga, working out muscles feels amazing.

I mentioned last week that this routine is made less challenging based on how separate the muscle groups are. What I realized today was that I could push myself a bit harder on the pullup bar without fearing the next move. Here are today's results:

12 Reverse grip chin ups
10 Wide grip pullups
10 Close grip overhead pullups
8 Switch grip pullups
14 Reverse grip chin ups
12 Wide grip pullups (assisted)
10 Close grip overhead pullups
16 Switch grip pullups*

*Resistance band instead of pullup bar

While working out I kept my post open from Day 5. This enabled me to see my numbers from last week, set them as a goal, and try to surpass them. It was nice motivation.

But hey Brett, why are you so bad with Switch Grip Pullups? Well let me explain what they are:

Start off with two reverse grip chin ups (hands shoulder width apart, palms towards you). After the second, while still off the floor, flip your hands around into the close grip overhead pullup formation (hands shoulder width apart, palms away from you). Do two, and switch again til failure. That switching destroys all your energy, so after getting 8 on my first attempt (4 in each grip), I decided to use the band. It was the 8th and final move, I figured I'd get quality over quantity.

In regard to the legs, certainly going to feel it tomorrow. Again, today is made up of wall sits, calf squats/raises, skater lunges and so on.

Finished up with Ab Ripper X. Best part today: spilling water on myself while trying to drink, on my back, with 4 minutes to go. If that doesn't wake you up I'm not sure what will.

1 comment:

  1. I still think Legs and Back is the hardest and the one that makes me the sorest and I'm a runner! Keep it up!!! :)

    ReplyDelete