this blog isn't for you. it's for me.


January 22, 2010

Day 5: Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X

My friend Andrew started p90x the same day I did. Woke up to an encouraging text today:

"Legs and back was doable for sure"

I get up at 7am to do this. He gets up at 5:25 for it. You decide who's insane.

Today was a nice change of pace from yesterday's Yoga. It certainly is a muscle building day, but what was nice was how different these two muscle groups are from one another.

Day 1, chest and back, seemed to work the same area with every move. Pushups and pullups, all using the arms and the rest of the upper body. Today, when doing pullups, I was able to rest my legs. When I was lunging, my back got the break. Definitely enjoyed this one more.

Today's workouts went like this: quad exercise, calf exercise, back exercise (pullups of sorts). The legs definitely burned, considering I'm still feeling the effects from Day 2 (Plyo).

I was more confident with pullups today because of what I said before. I didn't feel like I was killing my upper body with every move. There was a solid 3 minute break between each routine. Today I jotted down my results as I'm supposed to:

10 Reverse grip chin ups
8 Wide grip pullups
10 Close grip overhead pullups
8 Switch grip pullups
12 Reverse grip chin ups
12 Wide grip pullups (assisted)
8 Close grip overhead pullups
4 Switch grip pullups

Pretty good by my standards. Tony and the gang are still busting out 15-20 on each, but certainly felt stronger going into each routine (sans the last one).

Leg exercises included a lot of lunging and a bit of wall-sitting. Sort of felt like I was pledging again.

Ab ripper was back to kicking my ass today. I don't think that will ever get easier. 349 reps during 11 different moves, none of which I've ever done before this week.

Tomorrow's Kenpo, which is their version of a kickboxing/karate/taebo workout. Heard good things. Then Sunday's my rest/stretch day. Then we do this week over again.

Per the text this morning, I'm happy to say that this feels like it's going well because of the motivation around me. The blog, Andrew doing each routine the same day as me, and a number of friends taking the gym seriously now, keeps me pumped for each day. It's also made eating healthier easier.

5/90 days complete.

1 comment:

  1. So pumped for Kenpo tomorow!!!

    Only thing I really struggled with today really was the 1 leg wall squats. I'm sure stuff will get easier week 2, but my quads and hami's were still burning from the Plyo.

    ReplyDelete