this blog isn't for you. it's for me.


March 24, 2010

Day 65: Back and Biceps, Ab Ripper X

Let's work backwards. I was going to end my workout with a run. It's about 60 degrees out, seemingly perfect running weather. But after ending with ab ripper x, mason twists and a protein shake, I'm in no mood.

Abs continue to jolt me. I think my stomach's getting flatter, and love handles are become a bit slimmer, but my actual abdominal muscles are struggling to show through. Well let's not personify them, I'm just having trouble getting them to show through. Any tips? Maybe I shouldn't skip the runs I look forward to.

Back and biceps is a good day otherwise:

12 Wide grip pullups
12 Switch grip pullups
9* Corn cob pullups
12 Towel pullups
17 Chinups
20 Chinups (max pullups)

*Back of a chair for assistance

Don't let that asterisk fool you. Corn cob pullups are ridiculous. I keep one leg on the back of a folding chair, come all the way down so my leg flexes as far as it can, then use my upper body to pull myself up. The chair helps while I'm keeping my body up, to move side to side to complete the move.

Asides from corn cob, today was successful. My numbers were up in most moves.

My tip for today: It might only work for me, but I like to approach reps with percentages, not straight counting numbers. For instance, for max pullups I wanted to do 20. Instead of counting 1, 2, 3... I find success in seeing that 2 of 20 is 10%. So every two I'm 10% closer. So it's easier (for me) to get through 14, 15, 16, at 70...-...80 and so on. Maybe it's just me, but try it out. 100% is more achievable than 20 straight.

Oh, and last time I did this workout I broke a resistance band. Not this time.

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Just read about your resistance band issue. I had a band (It didn't break, luckily) that got way too weak for me during the workouts, and then I bought a "extra heavy" band from amazon...it totally changed my workouts. You feel so much stronger after pulling a heavier band!

    By the way, I do plan on starting p90x again sometime in April, so the 19th just might work! Congrats on all the hard work! You're so close to the end!! :)

    ReplyDelete