this blog isn't for you. it's for me.


February 2, 2010

Day 16: Plyometrics

Remember Jimmy from Seinfeld?

Jimmy's under the boards.
Jimmy's in the open.
Jimmy makes the shot...

Jimmy's going into shock.

That's Tony. Well he doesn't always speak in the third person, but there's one move where after he's beat, he bends over and goes:

Tony's grabbing his knees!

And he sounds exactly like Jimmy.

As for the workout, today was the first Plyo day with my heart rate monitor. I made note of just some of my numbers:

140/161 run stance squat switch pickup
150/163 circle run

179/170 jump knee tucks
178/165 twist combos

160/155 run squat 180 jump switches
158/154 monster truck tires

147 throw and catch
150 catch and shoot
154 football heroes

Beats per minute. First set / second set.

At first I recognized that the second time around my heart rate was higher. Figured that was going to be the case throughout, considering the first set is done after a break, the second is the repeated time sans break. But as I continued I noticed two things: The second set ended up being lower, and I wasn't reaching 160/170/180 as much. Here's my explanation, and there's zero scientific backing to it:

At first it took a while for me to get going. The repeated efforts became exhausting. Eventually, my body got used to the movement, and so I stayed more constant around 150. Also, heart rates are generally lower in the morning. My guess is that most, if not all of these numbers would be higher in the evening.

Plyo's one of the DVDs that doesn't go away when we switch routines. That means I'll be able to track my heart rate next week compared to these results.

Brett's grabbing his knees.

2 comments:

  1. I really need to get a heart rate monitor--do you suggest one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. me and need a stool....if you dont have one use a cat, dog brother, sister, uncle....that would be one short uncle....

    Anyway...

    I did plyo after work today instead of at 5:20 am. It was a lot of fun. Nothing is better than that sports bonus at the end. Its fun, and a great motivator to finish strong

    ReplyDelete