this blog isn't for you. it's for me.


February 13, 2010

Day 27: Yoga

Oh yoga, how I hate thee.

Everytime I perform this DVD I seem to come up with a new qualm about it. I don't mean to nitpick the routine. I'm sure for those who really enjoy yoga, 90 minutes of this would be a thrill. And if I could perform all these moves as I should, it'd be a thrill for me too. But it's not.

My new qualm is where this plays into the whole mix of getting in shape. I just don't believe that these stretching and balancing poses are going to get me toned. Success in doing pullups equates to building muscle. Success in royal dancer does not. Unless you'd like to somehow prove me otherwise.

In 63 days, when I complete p90x and I'm hopefully in better shape than I am now, I doubt I'll be able to get any lower on prayer twists. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my problem with yoga. Next time this comes up in the workout routine I might substitute it with Cardio X, a routine that makes sense for what I'm trying to achieve.

As for Crane, it doesn't hurt my wrists as much as it used it, but my balance just isn't quite there to sustain the move for an extended period of time. I took Tony's advice and surrounded myself with a couple pillows in case I should fall forward. Which I did. Gave me a bit more confidence to go full steam ahead. Pillow > Bed Frame.

Stretching tomorrow and a whole new workout on Monday.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your thoughts on yoga. Although I believe that it helps with flexibility and core stregnth, I would still rather to X Stretch or Core Synergistics to get a better bang for my buck.

    On the other hand, lots of people swear by it. My boyfriend, for example, says that he got all of his stregnth from yoga core work...he's all muscle and can still stretch with a yoga block.

    I made him try Tony's version and he said he didn't like it very much, so maybe theres better yoga out there...

    ReplyDelete