this blog isn't for you. it's for me.


February 12, 2010

Day 26: Core Synergistics

Synergy is when the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Hence core synergistics. It's many different things that separately are pretty good for you. Together, they kick the living daylights out of you. Especially when you incorporate beer and batteries. What?

The nicest thing about p90x is the fact that I can, and in fact do, each workout at home. There's no need to mope about going out to the gym. All it takes is some space and a play button. But when it's time to incorporate other materials like towels and weights that one might have at a gym, well that's when you improvise.

Today was much better than Day 23 when I struggled with this routine. Maybe it's because it's Friday. Maybe it's because I had music overriding Tony the Tiger. I don't know, but today was much more fun.

Some of the moves are just ridiculous still:

Banana Rolls: Start off on your back, in the banana position. Legs straight and off the floor, arms straight, reached back over your head and off the floor. Then roll on your right side, still keeping legs and arms off the floor. Then onto your stomach, the superman position, with yes, arms and legs off the floor. Then your other side, then reverse and repeat. The good thing about this exercise? Rarely do I roll around on my living room floor, so I did get to see how dirty it is underneath my couch.

Plank to Chaturanga Runs: While in pushup position (plank), run by kicking your knees in underneath you. Then drop your elbows in close to your body, dropping close to the floor while still supporting yourself with just your hands and feet (chaturange). And try to run. Felt like a Cadet trying to run underneath barbed wire.

Then came some more enjoyable moves:

Lunge Kickback Curl and Press: With a light weight, lunge forward. With a flat back, kickback your arms to work your triceps. Bring them back to your waist. Lift your chest, curl the weight followed by a shoulder press. Stand, lunge with the other leg and repeat. Now, this is where my makeshift workout began. I don't have weights, I have bands. Those don't work for this. So what can I grasp in each hand that will at least add some resistance? Two bottles of beer. While they weren't heavy they did in fact make the nice 'clink' noise weights make. Maybe for more resistance next time I won't use a Light beer [ba-dum-ching].

Towel Hopping: Place a folded up hand towel on the floor and for 60 seconds, hop with two feet back and forth over it. I didn't feel like stopping my workout and finding one. However, an 8-pack of AA batteries worked just as well.

Prison cell pushups are still ridiculous but I definitely got a few more sets in than last time. Dreya rolls, or as I like to call them Reverse Wonka Rolls, look easy. Until you realize that Dre, the ripped gal who made these up, has 16 ab muscles bulging through.

Tomorrow's Yoga, a Saturday disappointment compared to Kenpo. Perhaps a few seconds of proper crane? Ehh we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment